The era of training wheels is over. Ditch them and give your child a boost of confidence with the best balance bike in the market. Balance bike lets your little one ride free without the need of stabilizers or training wheels. The very first thing that when we buy something, we need to know about the products benefits, the good side and bad sides.
Balance bikes are the perfect way to give your kids the joy of their first ride. They are really great for early stage balance and gliding practice.
- What Is A Balance Bike?
- Comparison Chart
- Top 10 Best Balance Bike Reviews
- 1. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike, Ages 18 Months to 5 Years | Editor’s Pick
- 2. Schwinn Balance Bike, 12-Inch | Recommended For 4 Year old Kids
- 3. Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike (4.4 lbs) for Ages 1.5 to 5 Years
- 4. Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike | Suitable For 3 Year Old
- 5. KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike
- 6. Critical Cycles Cub No-Pedal Balance Bike for Kids
- 7. Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red
- 8. WOOM BIKES USA Balance Bike
- 9. Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike, Black
- 10. Tauki Kid Balance Bike No Pedal Push Bicycle, 12 Inch, 95% assembled
- Things To Consider Before Buying Best Balance Bike
- Different Types Of Balance Bikes
- What Makes Balance Bike Great For Kids?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Balance Bike?
Imagine a very small bike with no pedals. They look like some sort of running bikes without training wheels and pedals. The kids rely on their feet for balance and movement. The perfect age of riding a balance bike is 1.5 years if you have kids under 1.5 years then you need to go for a tricycle.
Balance bikes are lighter and easier to navigate than normal bikes. Bike experts actually recommend avoiding tricycles and training wheels. Ask yourself this… What is most important when it comes to learning to ride a bike?
Balance and turning. Your child won’t develop these skills on a tricycle. When you put your child on a bike with training wheels, they are not actually learning how to balance themselves. Here you can know more about benefits of a balance bike. Balance bike takes the process of first walking and your child will naturally lean forward while gliding and scooting forward.
Balance bikes are safe and can be ridden on all sorts of outdoor surface. They also don’t require any parental assistance. This also builds a sense of independence within them.
Why Should You Trust Us?
The products that are featured here are the best balance bikes you can find on the market. We are not sponsored or paid by any of these manufacturers to review them. Our primary goal is to give an in-depth detail about all of these bikes so that you can easily pick the best one for your child.
How To Know Which Balance Bike To Pick?
These bikes come in a wide variety of sizes. There is no one-size-fit-all bike. The range of sizes depends on the age of your child. The manufacturers offer bikes for 18 months to 5 years old kids. Pick one according to your child’s age and height. Best toddler bike always comes with quality and perfectly designed. With hundreds of kids bike on the market finding the best bike for your child can be a challenge.
Check at the end of this article if you want a more in-depth buying guide or simply pick the best one that we recommend. Don’t worry we’ve tested these bikes and asked professional bike trainers for their opinion before we made this best balance bike reviews guide.
Top 10 Best Balance Bike Reviews
Here is a short review of top ten best balance bikes. Use comparison chart for selecting balance bike for your toddler.
1. Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike, Ages 18 Months to 5 Years | Editor’s Pick
When it comes to balance bikes, Strider is the most popular brand out there. They are famous for well-designed balance bikes. The Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike is the highest rated and by far the most popular balance bike for toddlers in the community. If you have never bought a balance bike before, then we would suggest you go with this one.
After testing this bike with a 1 year old child we realize that they can’t handle this bike.Cause this bike is heavy for a 1 year old child. But after testing with a 1.5 year old child we look that they can easily handle this bike. This bike is perfect for 1.5 years old to 4 years old kids. In this price, strider is perfect for light kids, heavy kids, tall kids and short kids.
Best Features Of Strider Sport Balance Bike
- If we want brag something about this bike than it has to be the design. It has US patented design and performs really great. This is the primary reason why this bike so popular.
- Strider bike tires are one-piece ultra-light tires that are made using EVA polymer material.You won’t have to worry about the tires getting punctured. In addition, they are well cushioned and can be used on any outdoor surface.
- The frame of strider sport is made of steel and very lightweight kids bike, the seats, and the handlebars are padded for extra comfort. They are also adjustable which means the bike grows with your child.
- The frame also includes a well-designed integrated footrest. You’ll also get an extra-large seat post so that you can use it when your child gets older.
- The assembly of strider toddler bike is very easy. They also have a community that hosts annual races and other competition. You could say they are more of a family than a bike company.
- The strider 12 sport has the lowest seat setting in the industry.
- The toddler size grip is perfect for little hands.
- No tool is required to adjust the seat.
- Comes equipped with a well-designed footrest.
- Best toddler bike in the industry.
- The tires are not pneumatic, so little less on the traction but definitely worth the money.
Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike is a well-known balance bike for toddlers that comes packed with features and gives you a bike that lasts for years. Also, it has a good price tag that makes it affordable and you certainly don’t have to worry about breaking your bank for this.
Read The Full Review Of Strider – 12 Sport Balance Bike
2. Schwinn Balance Bike, 12-Inch | Recommended For 4 Year old Kids
If you compare with the strider sports, the Schwinn Balance Bike is one tough contender. We would have kept it at the no.1 position but after comparing them side by side we had put this one at 2nd position. Have a look at the features and you’ll know exactly why.
- The Schwinn balance bike features a unique foot to floor design that makes it very easy for your child to learn self-balance. The 12” size means anyone over 18 months old can easily ride it.
- Compare to the strider, the Schwinn bike is sturdier and weighs more than the strider too. The extra weight is optimal for your child to learn self-balance. The weight of Schwinn kids bike is only 14lbs
- The air tires and the tube are perfect for off-road surfaces where the pavement isn’t smooth. You’ll child won’t feel a thing while cruising through rough and rocky terrains.
- The overall frame, the components and also the bearings are top notch in terms of quality. Also, the frame includes a footrest.
- The seat is well padded and the handlebar can be easily adjustable. No tools are required to adjust the seat.
- The frame is heavier which makes it sturdier than most other bikes.
- The design is good and kids love that.
- Easy to assemble. Requires only a wrench.
- The seat size is adjustable and comfortable.
- The air tires will make your kid feel the joy of an actual paddle bike.
- The footrest is not well placed. However, most kids don’t use them anyway.
If you want a somewhat heavy bike that your child can easily handle than the Schwinn Balance Bike will certainly be worth the investment. You’ll be amazed at how quickly your child will be able to ride this bike. Schwinn balance bike is the best cheap balance bike according to its quality. This metal balance bike will be your great choice as the first bicycle for toddlers. Schwinn child bikes come in 4 different colors. They are Blue, Green, Red and pink balance bike.
Read The Full Review Of Schwinn balance bike 12-Inch
3. Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike (4.4 lbs) for Ages 1.5 to 5 Years
As the name suggests, the Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike is truly the lightest balance bike in the industry. Just because it’s best lightweight bikes in the world doesn’t mean it lacks quality or performance. In fact, this bike offers premium quality material at a good bargain price. This little kids bike has 10 different colors available on the market. If you searching for colorful little girl bikes then Cruzee is the perfect choice.
- The frame of his bike is made of rust-free anodized aluminum. This makes it very durable and lightweight. Even your two year old can easily pick up this bike.
- The tires are flat-proof, puncture-proof and can be ridden on any terrain. No more maintenance work for the parents. The low-profile axle bolts are also frowned free.
- This has to one of the most comfortable balance bike in the market. The grips are soft, the seats are padded and the round edges make it a very comfortable bike for the kids.
- The seat and the handlebar are easily adjustable without any tools. This makes it very convenient for kids above 1.5 years old.
- The bike is also very easy to assemble. The weight of this bike also makes it very portable and easy to store up.
- The Cruzee is a self-balance bike with rock solid construction.
- Lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- Sturdy and suitable for kids from 18 months to 5 years old.
- It weighs only 4.4lbs.
- The tires are perfect for indoor use.
- So far, we weren’t able to find anything wrong with this one.
It has all the functionality you will ever need on a balance bike and also provides a great value for the money. Cruzee bikes are best toddler balance bike for any ages.
Read The Full Review Of Cruzee UltraLite Balance Bike
4. Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike | Suitable For 3 Year Old
The Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike is a lightweight bike that has an ergonomic design. It is suitable for kids above 3 years old. This is the perfect training bike that gives a vibe of an actual pedal bike.
- This bike has a good ergonomic design that helps kids learn to balance a two-wheeler much faster.You’ll see your kid venture onto a pedal bike very quickly.
- The sturdy metal frame makes it very durable and lightweight. It only weighs 5.95lbs.Compare to other metal frame bikes, this one is actually lighter.
- The seat and the handlebars are easily adjusted according to your child’s size.The seat is padded that gives your little one a comfy cushioned ride.
- The tires are puncture resistant. Enjoy a worry and maintenance free play time with your kids.
- The bike stands 32 inches from the ground. A 3 year old can easily reach the ground. That is why the recommended age was above 3 years.
- The handlebar has a soft touch.
- The Chicco offers a red hot design.
- Lightweight ergonomic frame.
- The tires are also very sturdy.
- Budget friendly price.
- No problem on the quality of the bike but we did notice a little color tear after a few days of use.
Top rated balance bike always comes with some great features. Considering the price tag of the Chicco red bullet balance Training Bike, you are actually getting more than you are paying for. Chicco red kids bike help kids to gain proper balance. This pedal less bike has great color, sturdy build, your kids will definitely like this one.
Read The Full Review Of Chicco Red Bullet Balance Training Bike
5. KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike
The KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike is slightly different than most of the bikes you have seen in this list. It is the only bike that has a unique and easy to use step-in footrest design. This 12 inch kids bike has 5 different colors which are Blue, Green, Orange, Red, and Pink.
- The kazam v2e balance bike has a unique footrest that is patented and the footrest is actually placed in a natural place. This is called a step-in footrest and this feature can only be found on their bike.
- The seat and the handlebar can be easily adjusted and this bike can be used by children up to 5 years.
- The frame design is also unique than most other balance bikes. It is sturdy and durable.
- The tires are EVA puncture resistant tires. They will never require maintenance.
- The bike itself is easy to assemble and weighs only 8 lbs. Makes it easy to carry along with you on trips.
- Easy to assemble.
- The seat setting is 14 inches from the ground.
- Affordable balance bike.
- Nice position of the footrest.
- Gliding on this bike is easier than other bikes on this list.
- The wheels may provide less traction on slippery surfaces.
If you searching a bicycle for 5-year-old, then the KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike is the one. It has a price tag that is half the price of most branded balance bike companies out there. These bikes are popular for their quality materials and long-lasting frames.
Read full review Of KaZAM v2e No Pedal Balance Bike
6. Critical Cycles Cub No-Pedal Balance Bike for Kids
The Critical Cycles Cub is a great balance bike for kids that offers a unique step-thru and foot-to-floor frame design. This bike is recommended for children from 20 months to 3 years old. This small kids bike has 12 inches wheel.
- This cycle has a unique frame design that is extremely safe and also reduces the risk that normal tricycle and training wheels have. It is also CPSC compliant that ensures your child’s safety.
- The unique foot to floor design improves your child’s balance and hand eye coordination. You’ll notice a rapid growth of confidence in your child.
- This bike requires minimal assembly and the tires are puncture-proof as well as flat proof. No maintenance required.
- The bike comes equipped with a footrest. The seat and the handlebar can be easily adjusted. Suitable for growing kids.
- The tires also prevent your kids from gaining too much speed and the unique frame design prevents it from tipping over.
- This bike can be ridden indoors and outdoors.
- The seats are fairly easy to adjust.
- Requires minimal assembly.
- A Strong frame that is virtually indestructible.
- It has an adorable design that kids love.
- The footrest is not well designed and comes between the legs of a toddler.
If you are looking for maximum protection on your child’s bike then go for the Critical Cycles Cub No-Pedal Balance Bike for Kids. The Strong frame will make sure it lasts for years to come.
7. Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red
From the popular kid’s toy company which is famous for making wagons comes a popular balance bike. The Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red is a beautiful looking bike that matches the design pattern of their wagons. Radio Flyer is most popular and well-known balance bike brands in the industry. Radio Flyer has a wooden balance bike also.
- The radio flyer balance bike has a unique sturdy steel frame design. The steel frame makes it very durable and also little heavy which is optimal for the bike’s balance.
- The seat of this bike can be easily adjusted without requiring any tools.
- This bike is incredibly easy to assemble and the material quality is very good. The lightweight frame makes it easy to carry around.
- The unique feature of the radio flyer bike is that it has a real ringing bell. Kids love it while it may annoy you.
- Last but not least, the tires. They offer superior traction and won’t require any maintenance because they are puncture proof.
- The seats are very comfortable.
- The steel frame on this bike will make it last longer.
- The tires provide good traction.
- Comes with a real ringing bell.
- Very easy to put together.
- The bike is too small for a 5 year old.
The Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike is beautifully designed bike with a budget friendly price tag. Don’t worry about its durability as the steel frame of this bike will make it last for a long time.
Read The Full Review Of Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike Red
8. WOOM BIKES USA Balance Bike
WOOM builds the lightest and most refined bikes in the market. They are also the award-winning brand for children’s bike. When it comes to high-quality, safe balance bikes, they raise the standards. This is the best kids balance bike money can buy.
- This bike features AL-6061 light-weight aluminum tubes that dramatically increase the balance of the bike. The design of this bike was intended primarily for the early riders.
- The frame is lightweight and one of the highest quality frame bikes on the market. It also features additional steering lock limiter for safety.
- This bike comes with a handle brake.This feature is unique to balance bikes because toddles generally brakes with their feet. But a good way to introduce braking at an early age.
- The overall weight of this bike is 3.6kg only. One of the lightest bike on the market.
- The only bike that comes with 12” alloy rims. The industrial bearings hubs and the rims are connected with stainless steel spokes.
- Lightest aluminum tube for optimized balancing.
- Introduces braking at an early age.
- Geometry designed bike for the youngest riders.
- The short-lever brake that is easy to reach even by a toddler’s hand.
- The highest grade premium quality bike.
- These are expensive bikes. But you have to spend in order to get the best.
The WOOM BIKES USA Balance Bike offers everything you want in a balance bike. This is certainly the best balance bike money can buy. All the consumers were very pleased with their purchase.
Read The Full Review Woom 1 Balance Bike
9. Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike, Black
Give your kids the most stylish looking bike in the market. Yes, we are talking about the Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike. This bike is truly the best looking and the best functioning bike in the market. This aluminum balance bike won designs award in one of the largest cycling trade show in Europe. The frame of this bike is built with high-quality aluminum.
- Expect everything of premium quality from this bike. The frame of this bike is aluminum built. Strong and light balance bike. It also makes controlling much easier for kids.
- The tires are pneumatic and refillable. Pneumatic tires are one of the best tires overall in terms of grip, traction, and comfort. The suspension on these tires provides much smoother riding experience.
- The tires are wide which makes the bike more stable. This bike also comes with a rear end brake which is internally routed through the frame.
- The seats are very comfortable and easily adjusted. It weighs only 8.75 pounds.
- Combine everything with their awesome customer support. They truly made one premium quality bike.
- This is the best-looking bike on the market.
- Wide tires provide superb balance.
- Lightweight aluminum frame makes it easy to control.
- The tires provide exceptional traction.
- Short lever rear end brake which is perfect for toddlers.
- This bike is a little big for 18 months old. But perfectly suitable for a 2-year-old.
Combine high quality with great design & you’ll have Joovy Bicycoo Balance Bike. This bike is incredibly made, sleek design that even the adults love it. Joovy products have a reputation for being fabulous in terms of quality.
10. Tauki Kid Balance Bike No Pedal Push Bicycle, 12 Inch, 95% assembled
The Tauki Kid Balance Bike is feature rich bike with a good price tag. The brand Tauki is popular for making kids bike. They now also make bikes for every age. They are certainly a rising brand in the bike industry.
- This is the only bike on the market that actually comes almost pre-assembled. Not fully though, you need to install the seat and the handlebar.
- This is suitable for kids from 18 months to 3 years old. The seat and handlebar can be adjusted as your child grows.
- The pneumatic air tires are wide and make this bike very comfortable and at the same time provide unparalleled balance.
- The steel frame of this bike has a nice coat finish that keeps that shiny new look for a long time. Even you use it daily; it’ll still maintain that glossy look.
- It has a patterned non-slip handle, comfortable printed seat, and an excellent workmanship.
- Requires very little assembly.
- Adjustable seats and handlebars.
- Wide tires for optimal balance.
- It has a sturdy construction that’ll last for years.
- Quality is guaranteed by the manufacturer.
- This bike is not suitable for a three-year-old kid. Less than that is fine.
Finally, we have a bike that requires almost no assembly. The Tauki Kid Balance Bike No Pedal Push Bicycle is good to go out of the box in only 5 minutes. They even give you all the necessary tools. Considering the price and quality of this bike, they do certainly give a great value for the money.
This is our pick for the top 10 best balance bikes on the market. Choose the one that suits your child. If you are not sure which one to choose than follow along with this buying guide and make your choice.
Things To Consider Before Buying Best Balance Bike
Balance bikes may look simple but buying them isn’t. You have to consider a lot of factors if want to give your child the best balance bike. In general, any balance bike can teach your child how to ride and balance. But the riding experience won’t be the same.
Different Types Of Balance Bikes
Let’s talk about the classification of these bikes. Based on the frame they are classified into three categories. There are significant differences among them. We’ll talk a little bit about these types.
These are the most common and the most popular type of balance bike on the market. These frames are either made of steel or aluminum. Aluminum frames are lightweight and steel frames are heavier and sturdier. These are long lasting bikes and can be passed down from sibling to sibling.
These bikes will provide a great value for money because they wear less and can be used for years. Their welded design improves balance and comfort. The handlebar and the seat on them can be easily adjusted and some of them even come with footrests for smoother gliding.
Just because the frame is plastic doesn’t necessarily mean they are fragile. The balance bike manufacturers use premium quality plastic materials that make their bike highly durable and lightweight. Most of them use ABS plastic because it is sturdy and lightweight.
These types of bikes are more portable and easy to store. Also, they are easy to assemble. They are so lightweight that even your child can lift them. The handlebar and seat height on them can be easily adjusted.
It may be a surprise to you but there are some balance bikes out there that are made entirely out of wood. By the way, only the frame is made of wood. Not the whole bike. Who would ride a bike made out of wood anyway?
That being said, these bike gives an excellent combination of a traditional design and the touch of a modern bike look. Beautifully designed bikes are very popular among the parents and children. The frame is made of plywood which can resist element and they are stronger than solid wood.
Here are some of the key factors to look for when shopping for the best kids balance bike.
As you already know, there are no one-size-fit-all bikes. A bike that is made for an 18 –month-old won’t be a good fit for a 4-year-old kid. Check the seat height and tire height to find the perfect fit for your child. Balance bike always allows the seat height of 1″-1.5″.
Normally a bike’s weight should not be more than 30% of a child’s weight. This is the general rule for weight guessing of a bike. The more features added on a bike, the heavier a bike will get. While it is possible to get a lightweight bike without removing all the features, but it’ll cost you more.
For a kid, a balance bike is all about running and gliding. They naturally lean forward to ride and require enough room to do so. A bike should have enough space for your kid’s leg to move around. The space between the seat post and the handlebar should have ample space. This allows the child to extend their legs comfortably.
The most common types of tires are air, rubber and foam. The best all-around tire among them is the air type tires. They are also known as pneumatic tires and provide the most traction and cushion. Radio flyer glide and go balance bike comes with foam tires, and Schwinn balance bike comes with air tires.
The EVA foam tires are lighter and puncture proof but lack traction. Rubber tires are better than foam tires as they are also punctured proof and provide good cushioning and traction. But they don’t match the traction level of pneumatic tires.
The maximum turning angle for a bike is the one that allows the handlebar to get close to the frame. Some bike comes with turning limiters but a lot of people think that they restrict a child from learning to turn properly. Turning limiters are installed on a bike for safety measures. This shouldn’t be a big issue when it comes to buying a bike.
There are some cheap ones as well as expensive ones. Go for the mid range budget or pick the one that we mentioned so that you can get most out of your budget without losing any quality or feature.
What Makes Balance Bike Great For Kids?
The hype for the balance bike isn’t just for show. They have actually earned it because of the benefits they give to your child. Here we are going to talk about why they are great for kids who want to learn how to ride for the first time.
Balance bike improves the coordination skill of a child at an early age. Unlike training wheels, they can rely on themselves for balance and gives a smooth transition to pedal bikes without ever having the need of parental assistance.
Less Risk For Injury
We know safety is the top most concern for a parent. Learning to ride a bike for the first time comes with a little risk. But this what makes balance bike so great. A balance bike is much safer than tricycles or traditional training wheel bikes.
The low-profile engineering of these bikes enables your child to place their feet on the ground. Also provides maximum stabilization, user-friendly brake support, turning limiter that reduces the risk of tipping over.
Increases Family Bonding
Balance bikes are the perfect way to increase a parent-child bonding. Teaching your kids how to ride a bike requires some parental assistance. The kids can ride on their own on a balance bike, but it is recommended to have a look out because toddlers are easily distracted.
This also encourages outdoor exploration and is considered one of the best physical activities that keep the whole family moving together. It makes a great family fun time.
Teaches Essential Skills
Balance bikes are the perfect way to teach your children all the necessary skills they need to learn how to ride a traditional pedal bike. Aside from balancing skill, it teaches them how to steer, how to brake, and most importantly how to ride safely on the streets. In short, they will become well skilled when the time comes. Kids also love scooters and it’s really fun.
As for the kids, the bikes are three times lighter than normal pedal bikes. They can push and maneuver as they like and can go for longer rides without getting fatigued.
For the parents, a lot of people think that they are not worth the money, but considering the benefits these are certainly worth the investment. They are much more economical than try-cycles or training wheels.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size is perfect for my child?
This is a question that we get a lot. Generally, a 12” balance bike is suitable for 1.5 year old child. Check our comparison chart to find the correct bike for your child’s age. If you have kids under 1.5 year old then you should go for a tricycle.
Which Frame Type Is The Best?
Aluminum frames. They are sturdy, lightweight and you’ll notice that the best balance bikes are made using this frame. They are also expensive.Aluminum frames are long lasting also.
Do Balance Bikes Need Brake?
Not necessarily. A child will instinctively brake using their feet. But it doesn’t hurt to have a brake feature on a balance bike. It’ll also help them master the art of braking a bike at an early stage.
Is Footrest Necessary For A Balance Bike?
This is actually a debatable question. The answer depends on how well the footrest is designed. A toddler will normally lift up their legs while gliding. This is why most of the balance bike doesn’t come with footrest.
This article was written with the intention that all the parents can appreciate the benefits of a good balance bike. All the models that are reviewed here are very popular among the consumers. We want to make sure you appreciate the same way.
The best balance bike is not the cheapest or the most expensive one, rather it is the one that suits your child and develops their basic bike riding skills. Hope you liked this article about balance bike reviews and let us know which one you picked in the comments below.